Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oriental Culture Club

When I was a freshman in 1988, there was a single group on campus for all people Asian, and it was called the Oriental Culture Club. Not only was no distinction was made among this diverse group, but we hadn't yet applied the now-p.c. term "Asian."


In 2009, calling someone an "Oriental" is about as bad as saying "Colored," so it's no surprise that the club is gone. In its place are the Korean Culture Club and the Pinoy Culture Club. That was a new one for me- Pinoy. Although I won't be using it in casual conversation, since Wikipedia tells me that some find the term derogatory.

Whatever the term used, I want to hang with the Pinoy Club folks. The Pinoy President says, "We value the importance of being culturally diverse, but at the same time, keepin [sic] it real 24/7."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter