Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The State of Tolerance

In the 1980s in Palos Verdes, it was definitely not socially-acceptable to be gay in high school. In fact, that was the kind of allegation that would likely have led to the kid transferring schools in a futile attempt to lose the stigma.

I've been aware that it's increasingly common for kids to self-identify as homosexual, as early as high school, with relatively little repercussion. So I was encouraged and not surprised to find a "Gay Straight Alliance" club, whose mission is to promote tolerance and understanding.


Apparently they have their work cut out for them, however, since I also found this photo of a bunch of cool-kid-looking senior boys who dressed up as a "Gay Parade" for Halloween.


The caption reads: "A dozen senior boys dress as a gay parade for Halloween to promote their views on Prop 8." My guess is that they are not gay rights activists, given that I spy a kid dressed up in a Village-People-esque Navy outfit, and lots of garish pink.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't Prop 8, a.k.a. the Defense of Marriage Act, the highly divisive, emotionally-charged issue that people liken to the struggle for desegregation? And therefore not really funny Halloween fodder? I understand that 17-year-old boys are not typically socially-aware, and definitely not politically correct, but who is the yearbook faculty advisor who allowed this offensive photo, and the even worse caption? I guess this one goes in the "Shockingly Similar" category, since PVHS apparently remains the super-conservative place I left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter